Frequently Asked Questions

  • toggle icon for question and answerWhat is the London Music Office?

    The London Music Office is a service area within The City of London Economic Development & Planning that serves London’s music industry. Anchored in Tourism London, the Music Office advocates on behalf of the sector and serves as a connecting point between the industry and City Hall. This is done by reviewing bylaws and creating favourable conditions for the music industry.


    Music Canada published a document in 2018 that takes a look at the merit of a Music Development Office & Officer in a report titled Keys to a Music City: Examining the Merits of Music Offices, Boards, and Night Mayors.

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow long has the London Music Office existed?

    The London Music Office was created in 2015, and is now in its second year of operation. The creation of the Music Office took several years of mapping and community input to reach the November 2015 launch.

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow can I contact the London Music Office?

    You can reach us with the built-in form on the website, or by calling 519.661.2489 EXT. 7308. 

  • toggle icon for question and answerWhere is the London Music Office located?

    The Music Office is located with the Tourism London building, located at 267 Dundas St. in London, Canada.

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow can I get involved?

    The best way to get involved is by attending London Music Office events such as #musictalks, concerts / shows, and by spreading the word through sharing London Music Office content on social media. The Music Office also works alongside the Business of Music Committee. 

  • toggle icon for question and answerCan I get my event promoted and shared by the London Music Office social media?

    Yes, you can. Send us a message through the built-in function on our website, or contact us through social media. Easiest platform is Twitter. Simply tag @LDNMusicOffice in your post and for a retweet!

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow do I get my music out there?

    One of the most important elements to a modern band/act is a strong and active social media presence. This means lots of video content, pictures, text posts, and consistent updates. If your social media channels are active and you take yourself seriously, others will start to do the same. Connect with other local artists by attending live events and support what they are working on.

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow can an artist/band in London "get shows"?

    Talking to venues and event promoters is a great start! Sending out emails with samples of your music and EPK (Electronic Press Kit), combined with cold calls is one of the best ways to get your name out there and find opportunities! You can find contact information for venues on their websites or social media, and the best way to meet promoters is by attending shows and networking. Nobody is going to come and knock on your door if they don’t know you’re there!

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow do I get radio play?

    The best place for an independent artist/band to start in this regard is college and university radio. Find out the contact email for these stations (many have dedicated emails for submitting music), and most will be able to cycle your music into rotation. Other radio stations require a more high-profile approach, and there are services you can hire on your behalf to pitch your music to them. A new station is entering London in April 2017, CBC London. This is an excellent opportunity to connect with a local radio outlet.

  • toggle icon for question and answerHow do I collect royalties for my music?

    In order to collect royalties on your music, you must register your music with a songwriters association (SOCAN). Performers on recordings can register with MROC, ACTRA or ARTISTI. Have a look in our resource section. These organizations collect your music’s royalties from airplay, internet streaming, and more on your behalf. You will also get to choose an American performing rights organization (ASCAP, BMI or SESAC) to collect royalty revenue from the United States. You will also want to sign up for RE:SOUND in order to collect your neighbouring rights royalties. Master rights owners can also collect money through Connect and SOPROW. There are ways to collect royalties for music you’ve created! Click here to see a diagram.

Mailing List

Sign up to receive our newsletter highlighting the latest industry news, upcoming events, resources, workshops and more in London.

Mailing Address Information
Mailing Address Information Submit Button
We value your privacy, never share your information and you can opt out at any time.