City of london resources



Amplified sound is now permitted on commercial patios throughout the City of London. Regulations have been placed on how loud and how late amplified entertainment is permitted. 



A temporary sound permit application may be made for sound coming from a community event or an outdoor patio. Review the appropriate application below to identify the required documentation and submit the application package to the City of London Licensing office.

How to Start Your Live Music Venue Business Guideline

How to Obtain a Temporary Sound Permit For Patios Guideline

Temporary Sound Permit for Amplified Sound on an Outdoor Patio

Temporary Sound Permit for a Community Event or Construction Work

Noise Bylaw

Amplified Sound (Residential Area) - Section 2.4 (b) 
Amplified Sound – television – stereo – speakers – amplifiers – any time (b) the sound created by any electronic device or group of connected electronic devices incorporating one or more loudspeakers or other electro-mechanical transducers intended for the production, reproduction or amplification of sound, including but not limited to a radio, television, amplifier, loud speaker, public address system, sound equipment, that is clearly audible at a Point of Reception in a Residential Area at any time; 
Temporary Noise Permit (Community Event Class 2) For Special Event - Section 4.1 (1)
Application for a Temporary Noise Permit 4.1 (1) Any person may submit an application for a temporary noise permit for Construction or for a Community Event (Class 2).

The volume of amplified sound that may be made shall not exceed a sound pressure of at most 90 decibels (dBA) beyond at least 30m (100 feet) from the source of the amplified sound; and
The times during which sound may be made shall be limited to the hours of 9:00 a.m. at the earliest and to 11:00 p.m. at the latest. Please note there are exceptions made.

for more information:

Please refer to the City of London Sound By-law


The City of London recognizes that at certain times, noise can negatively impact our quality of life and disturb household activities. When Municipal Law Enforcement Services becomes involved, we hope that a resolution may be achieved which is satisfactory to all parties.

Occupant Noise Enhanced Enforcement - Friday & Saturday evenings

City of London Municipal Law Enforcement Officers respond to noise complaints generated by occupants of a premise (i.e. parties, loud music).  This service is available on Friday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to the following Saturday morning until 3:00 a.m., and Saturday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to the following Sunday morning until 3:00 am.

To register a complaint where an occupant noise is disturbing you during the time frames stated above you may call 519-930-3517.  Please listen to the message in its entirety, and in accordance with the instructions leave a voice message to initiate a complaint investigation.

If you call the number above before 7:00 p.m., or after 2:30 a.m., and listen to the entire message, the call will automatically transfer to London Police Service.

If at any time the noise of concern is related to a criminal or unlawful activity please report this to London Police Services at 519-661-5670 (automatic call transfer), but in the case of an emergency hang up and call 911.

Read The By-Law

Mailing List

Sign up to receive our newsletter highlighting the latest industry news, upcoming events, resources, workshops and more in London.

Mailing Address Information
Mailing Address Information Submit Button
We value your privacy, never share your information and you can opt out at any time.